WELCOME

NOTICE

Hello and welcome to  fig v fig bayonets to breech-loaders, unfortunately this blog has been in a state of neglect for over a year now and I was seriously debating whether to delete it or revive the concept, revived it has been. The process of breathing new life into the site is time-consuming and messy so I would like to apologise if things don’t quite seem to be as described,

I’m working as quickly as real life permits to get pages menus etc sorted out. You will find older posts are missing images and links and many of these will be deleted,  there may also be a change in blog template and theme as things have moved on since this template was first introduced. Please bear with me for the next week or so, I expect to have things bedded down by the end of January and yes….. I mean January 2012. Thank you for your patience

WELCOME

Welcome to the fig v fig “from bayonets to breech loaders” blog or as the Labrat and I like to call it the fig v fig collection laboratories. This page is firstly to bid you welcome and primarily to help you navigate your way around the blog and contains a brief description of what you’re going to find when you get there, a contents page if you like. Why bayonets to breech loaders, well my collection starts with the War of Spanish Succession and the introduction of the socket bayonet (a significant advance for infantry and cavalry)  and ends with the American Civil War where breech loaded artillery and small arms were to play an important part in warfare on land and water.

The Menu Bar (above ↑) is pretty well self-explanatory but may be a little cryptic, if not explained, to the un-initiated. Take the NEWS button for instance, it’s….. well, just that. A news page opens up when you press the NEWS button. On the NEWS page you will see a slider at the top, that contains featured blog postings usually accompanied by a photo, text summary and a ‘continue reading→’. Underneath the slider with the featured posts is the latest blog posting in full and following that are the next four most recent blog posts in summary. There are also buttons for the WELCOME and BLOG READER pages.

The categories menu buttons, all in lower case on the menu bar, collate all blog post into their relative categories archives. You can search for period and nationality posts quickly via the category menu buttons. For instance if you would like to see what the lab rat and I are up in regards to my Napoleonic Wars postings click on the  ‘le emporer’ menu button and all post relating to that category will be displayed. On the other hand if you want to see all the post relating to all of my Napoleonic French Infantry Forces then click le emporer →french project →french Infantry and the archive of postings under the French infantry label/category will present itself, nothing to it really.

The tag cloud search (side bar →) works in much the same way as the categories archive  say for instance you want to search for all post relating to AB miniatures, click on the ‘AB miniatures’ tag and hey presto all the post relating to AB’s finest will present. It’s not rocket science and most of you probably already know this and are fully aware of the role smoke and mirrors play in the inter webbing of blogs and such, however I have a duty to bore 99% for the sake of the other 1%.  The ‘tag cloud’ is not visible on pages you must be in the blog reader or either the category or tag archives. You have probably already noticed that the tags allow for a much more figure specific search.

Finally I’m going to assume that most visitors to the fig v fig laboratories are wargamers themselves despite that popular and too often true saying about assumptions. I am not trying to “sell coals to Newcastle” with my rudimentary grasp of the history of the era, or preach about how painting should be done this way or that way, there are far more knowledgeable historians and talented painters out there in the blog O sphere than I, you will find the links to those individuals and their blogs full of disgustingly good painting on the right hand side-bar in the links list or in the (footer ↓) RSS feeds

🙂

*The images used on this page are photographic reproductions found on wiki commons and are in the public domain