Eylau – fun in the snow

Somewhat late but I should mention that the Eylau game has been played! Uh huh, that’s right, the game has been played and I didn’t post anything……

Let me explain, I installed all the pictures (that turned out) in a new annexe of the gallery with the intention of posting a note here in the blog directing your attention to it. Phase one of the operation went quite smoothly phase two…… OK so this is phase two, a little late.

So hit the gallery tab above and select the Eylau sub menu or if that is all too hard (slackers) click

A tight spot for the Ruskies

Thanks for looking guys n gals

18th century enthusiasts site

A new site is being set up for old school/classic, Imagi Nation and historical mid 17th to late 18th century historical war gamers. Imagineers also have license to push the boundaries into a bit of Bram Stoker or Jules Vern, as long as they have tricorns  and flintlocks on hand ……of course.

The Odd Fellows Wargaming Lounge. A gentleman’s club for the type of chap who likes to play bally loose with his lead.

Eylau the Demo Game

Our group of like minded, and quite handsome, gamers here in Brisbane are attempting to put on a participation/demo game of the frosty and jolly cold Battle of Eylau for the Brisbane Muster (war games convention), being run by the Brisbane Independent Gamers club. The Battle of Eylau, 7 – 8 February 1807, was a nasty little punch up between the Crsican trouble makers Grande Armée and a Ruskie army under Count von Bennigsen near the town of Preußisch Eylau, it proved to be a bloody and inconclusive affair and was noted by historians for the absence of brass monkeys!

Battle map we will be using showing positions

Contour map of the battle field plotted out 1:1 in game scale

After a night or two of discussion and a weeks worth of emails the team was assigned tasks which each and everyone has tackled heads down bums up (with gusto for non Australians). Accurate contour maps have been obtained, OOB’s are under research, print plotters and styrofoam cutters are beginning to strain under the load and I’ll probably get around to painting the Russian shortfall before the event.  😉

Complete contour plot laid out on Pete’s table

One of our cleverer chaps (Jose) was able to generate a 1:1 (game scale) contour map of the battlefield for us, it was quite a sight when laid out on Pete’s 3.6 x 1.2m table, and this has proved a very helpful tool in visualizing what needs to be done terrain wise. It was also a little daunting!  Even the town and village footprints are represented on the map so that we can accurately size and place the built up areas.

Getting started, close up of the styrofoam contours.

Using the plots Jose has been able to transfer the contours onto the foam, cut them out and position them so we obtain accurate terrain for the game. He did a marvellous job and even at this very early stage things look very promising.

A small section of basic terrain relief, this section represents one end of the table 1.2m wide and the 1st metre in length, 2.6m to go!

We have also been busy studying various snow effects and have settled on a very short pile fleecy material for the bulk of the table, it seems to drape nicely into the contours and reflects the light well giving a suitable snowy type look. Michael has also acquired a snow material/floc to augment the cloth, I’m looking forward to seeing to seeing how this will work it certainly sounds promising.

The miracle snow cloth, not a great photo but I can confirm it really looks the part

Well that’s all to tell for now, we’re pretty keen to put on a good game and everyone is pulling together and putting their thinking caps on for this one. I’ll update you with our progress re the foam contours on the weekend, it is looking pretty good from the photo’s that have been smuggled out from Eylau HQ so far.

The Ruskies are looking keen!

Thanks for looking.

 

 

Camera Play

With the Gallery on the verge of becoming a going concern (again) I decided my lazy habit of point and clicking my figures had to come to an end, so yesterday I spent a day away from the brushes and put some effort in on the camera.

Untitled 16

After many hours of fiddling with fiddly micro buttons, switches and turn dials of various configurations I came to the conclusion that I’m not happy with setting the white balance or focus manually so these operations have stayed on “auto”, my eyes are a bit buggered anyway so I don’t think it would be a huge benefit focusing manually.

Untitled 2

I did put in some effort with F-stop settings, sensor readings (the old film speed ISO) and shutter speeds and I think the majority of the photo’s have come up considerably better than my recent efforts, particularly with depth of field.

Untitled 21   Untitled 19

One thing became clear from my day of fiddlizing is I really should invest in a half decent light to paint and photograph under may go a long way to improving both. It was a pity my camera wont let me play with exposures, it insists on taking photos properly in that regard and it also probably explains the absence of a light meter, putting that to one side I think it was a successful day.

Untitled 6

The flickr folder is public and I’ve stored a few of the happy snaps there-in.